Sunday, April 06, 2008

Gems of Greece


1 - I'll bet the Pantheon and the rest of the Acropolis are really stunning under all those layers of metal scaffolding and cranes.
2 - If you like dairy, you'll never find richer, more delicious yogurt...or less healthy, for that matter. I think they're pretty much one and the same in this case.
3 - Speaking of which, I'm not sure the Greeks have a translation for the word 'healthy'. I must have gained 10 pounds, and that's not including what I added to my beer gut. I guess it's like the freshman five, but instead it's the European ten. The three basic food groups here are pork, feta, and olive oil (which the locals call just 'oil' because, honestly, what other oil can exist?).
4 - Stay away from the frappes if you're hypersensitive to caffeine unless you really like to act like Cornhulio. It's basically powdered caffeine mixed with sugar and a little water to bind it into a paste. The trucker's dream, really.
5 - Every mountain is spectacular enough to look like Mt. Olympus, especially in the brilliantly orange sunsets that seem to trickle ambrosia down into the olive orchards and vineyards below. I was like a little kid asking ''Are we there yet?'' but substituting ''Do you think that one is Mt. Olympus?''

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home